Plastic surgery is a medical procedure with the purpose of altering or restoring the form of the body.
Though cosmetic or aesthetic surgery is the most well-known kind of plastic surgery, operations are not necessarily considered cosmetic, and plastic surgeons perform a wide range of procedures, including many types of reconstructive surgery, craniofacial surgery, hand surgery, microsurgery and the treatment of burns.
Cosmetic plastic surgery includes surgical and nonsurgical procedures that reshape normal structures of the body in order to improve appearance and self-esteem.
Healthy individuals who have a positive outlook and realistic expectations are most appropriate candidates for cosmetic procedures. Because cosmetic surgery is considered an elective operation, it’s typically not covered by insurance.
When you choose a doctor who is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, you can rest assured your surgeon is qualified to perform your surgery.
Plastic Surgery Services Provided in Western New York:
Fluctuations in weight, growing older and even heredity can cause your upper arms to have a drooping, sagging appearance.
Exercise may strengthen and improve the underlying muscle tone of the upper arm, but it cannot address excess skin that has lost elasticity or underlying weakened tissues and localized fat deposits.
If the underside of your upper arms are sagging or appear loose due to excess skin and fat, an arm lift might be right for you.
If you are dissatisfied with your breast size, augmentation surgery is a choice to consider. Breast augmentation can:
- Increase fullness and projection of your breasts
- Improve the balance of your figure
- Enhance your self-image and self-confidence
Also known as augmentation mammaplasty, the procedure involves using implants to fulfill your desire for fuller breasts or to restore breast volume lost after weight reduction or pregnancy.
Implants also may be used to reconstruct a breast after mastectomy or injury.
If you are bothered by expression lines or other signs of aging in the brow region, a brow lift may be right for you. A brow lift:
- Minimizes the creases that develop across the forehead or those that occur high on the bridge of the nose, between the eyes
- Improves what are commonly referred to as frown lines, vertical creases that develop between the eyebrows
- Repositions a low or sagging brow that is hooding the upper eyelid
- Raises eyebrows to a more alert and youthful position
Rejuvenation procedures typically performed with a brow lift include:
- Eyelid surgery to rejuvenate aging eyes
- Face lift to correct aging changes in the mid and lower face and neck regions
- Skin resurfacing techniques
Cosmetic eyelid surgery, called blepharoplasty, is a surgical procedure to improve the appearance of the upper eyelids, lower eyelids or both, and give a rejuvenated appearance to the surrounding areas of your eyes.
A procedure that makes you look more rested and alert, this aesthetic plastic surgery is commonly used to treat:
- Loose or sagging skin that creates folds or disturbs the natural contour of the upper eyelid, sometimes impairing vision
- Excess fatty deposits that appear as puffiness in the upper eyelids
- Bags under the eyes
- Droopiness of the lower eyelids, showing white below iris
- Excess skin and fine wrinkles of the lower eyelid
If you are bothered by the signs of aging in your face, a facelift may be right for you. Technically known as rhytidectomy, a facelift is a cosmetic surgery that is used to improve visible signs of aging in the face and neck such as:
- Sagging in mid face
- Deep creases below the lower eyelids
- Deep creases along the nose extending to the corner of the mouth
- Fat that has fallen or is displaced
- Loss of muscle tone in the face may create jowls
- Loose skin and excess fatty deposits under the chin and jaw that can cause the appearance of a double chin
- Rejuvenation procedures typically performed in conjunction with a facelift are brow lift to correct a sagging or deeply furrowed brow and eyelid surgery to rejuvenate aging eyes.
The human hand is one of the most versatile tools in nature. Illness, injury or congenital deformity (if present at birth) can diminish the ability to manipulate our hands to grasp, pinch, wave, touch, shake hands or perform countless other functions.
If the function of your hand is impaired in any way, reconstructive hand surgery may improve your condition.
Hand surgery can treat diseases that cause pain and impair strength or limit the function and flexibility of the wrist and fingers. It seeks to restore to near normal the function of fingers and hands injured by trauma.
Despite good health and a reasonable level of fitness some people may still have a body with disproportionate contours due to localized fat deposits.
These areas may be due to family traits rather than a lack of weight control or fitness.
Liposuction slims and reshapes specific areas of the body by removing excess fat deposits, improving body contours and proportion, and ultimately, enhancing your self-image.
A flat, well-toned abdomen is something many of us strive for through exercise and weight control.
Sometimes these methods alone, though, cannot achieve our goals. Even individuals of otherwise normal body weight and proportion can develop an abdomen that protrudes or features loose or sagging skin. The most common causes of this includes:
- Significant fluctuations in weight
- Prior surgery
Also known as abdominoplasty, a tummy tuck removes excess fat and skin, and in most cases restores weakened or separated muscles, creating an abdominal profile that is smoother and firmer.